How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any form of legal recourse for defective products

Customer Question

Is there any form of legal recourse for defective products that involve no injuries? I have had repeated failures with a hot tub that I purchased, it has been serviced, repaired and even replaced once already. Yet I continue to experience some of the same issues still
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Was Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Please clarify as to what you are asking I have reported the issues to the manufacturer and service provider on numerous occassions.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Such a claim, based upon the sale of a defective product, would be a breach of contract claim against the seller or breach of warranty against the manufacturer.
If the claim does not exceed $5000, you can sue them both in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.Of course, if you have a written warranty you will need to check the terms, as it may require arbitration before you can file suit, as well as compliance with timelines and notices.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Did you have further questions? Please let me kniw if I have answered your question.