Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi,
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Rosenstein & Associates
99622407

My ex employer has my final check in the possession of the

my ex employer has my final check in the possession of the local manager. He wants me to come to his office to retrieve it. I asked him if he would please mail it to me as I am busy at my new job and cannot get to the office during business hours. His response was "what about the 5 FRC shirts and 3 FRC slacks?" I dropped off 5 brand new full uniforms with tags attached that were not FRC. Am I required to return anything to receive my final check by mail?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time at will, I was with them for 15 years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All these messages were sent by text. What should my text reply to him be?

Your former employer is required to pay you your entire check within a certain period of time. The period of time varies based no whether you were terminated or resigned. For every day after that date, the employer is liable to you for an amount equal to your regular daily wage while you were employed, up to a maximum of 30 days. For example, if your regular daily wages was $100 and 7 days have passed since the date that your wages were due, your employer owes you an additional statutorily mandated $700. Please click here to learn more about California's waiting time penalties rules.

In addition, your employer may not deduct any amounts from this paycheck for any equipment that they purport you still owe them. You should return any and all equipment and uniforms in your possession, to ensure that they do not file a claim against you for the equipment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If he withholds my check, or deducts funds for the equipment, should I contact a labor lawyer?

You may be able to handle this matter without an attorney and save yourself some money. Please click here and review the information regarding bring a wage claim against an employer. After you have reviewed it and looked at the process, you can decide if you are comfortable handling the matter yourself.

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

I meant 4-star rating.