Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I want to sue carnival cruise for a tooth loss that cost me

Customer Question

I want to sue carnival cruise for a tooth loss that cost me 9000. they are offering 1500. can I sue them from ct
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i live ct carnival headquarter in Miami fl
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i have contacted them they offered 1500.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what will this cost me?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: i just need to know if i can sue from ct or do i have to file in Miami.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.Generally, a court is going to have jurisdiction where a defendant has their corporate headquarters or where the “nerve center” of their operations are. this means that you usually cannot file a claim in your own Hometown against an out-of-state defendant. On the other hand, there is an exception that allows a party to sue an out of state defendant if a business as held themselves out to the benefits and protections of the state you live in now. So, for example if you could prove that Carnival Cruise Lines promoted in Connecticut and sent you flyers and brochures, and it seems clear that they were looking to get Connecticut residents to enter into an agreement with them, then they would be eligible for the benefits and protections of Connecticut Law. This means that you would be able to sue in your home state. However, it is likely that their lawyers would probably have a lawsuit like that dismissed in Connecticut and force it to go to Miami. Therefore, my recommendation would be to have it filed in Miami. I know it is a while away, but you can find a process server in the area to help file and serve the documents for you.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.