How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a DUI before 2005 on the east coast. They still want

This answer was rated:

I had a DUI before 2005 on the east coast. They still want $1,000. Is there a statuate that legally voids this?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Now live in Ca, NJ DUI
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They took my license and I'm trying to get it back.


I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, no. If this was part of your sentence, it has to be paid. If it's too much for you to pay at once, you could get a payment schedule and pay it down. However, you won't be able to get your license back until the debt is paid. Also, when one state suspends your license/driving privileges, the other states will honor that judgment. This means you won't be able to get a license anywhere in the US until the debt is paid.

I'm sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank u for info, ill pass it on

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank u for response. I'd give 5 stars, if there was a place to click on stars??

You should see somthing that says "rate your expert" where you get to select stars. 3, 4 or 5 stars gets me credit for my work.

Zoey, JD and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you