How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5267
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my husband steal my social security number and put a

Customer Question

Can my husband steal my social security number and put a FREEZE on my credit, hiding the release codes from me, against my will, permission, and wishes?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Fl. About a year ago. Still going on.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I haven't done anything yet. He refuses to unfreeze my credit. He keeps the codes hidden in his safe. I am at his financial mercy
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I will report fraud if necessary and I want to know if I can get a new SS number
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is no. Firstly, spouses have a fiduciary (financial) duty to one another to not do anything that would harm the other spouse. In your case, if your husband has put a freeze on your credit and is not allowing you to see certain things that you otherwise would have access to, you would have a cause of action if you took him to court. You may want to consider speaking with your credit card companies or other creditors to explain that someone has hijacked your information. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to your husband immediately. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.