My daughter visited a friend's apt. She parked in an area…

Customer Question
My daughter visited a...

My daughter visited a friend's apt. She parked in an area she was told was "OK" - there is no signage stating you can't park there. The management does provide 24hr visitor passes, but the box where they're kept was empty - and my daughter was only there for about an hour when she came out to find a guy trying to hook up her car for towing, along with the apt. security guard. The apartment complex lease states violators will be given 1 warning - there was no warning (my daughter's first visit). Additionally, the tow driver refused to provide his name, told her he'd charge her a 200.00 drop fee but would only take cash. She went w/her friend to an ATM to get the $$, upon return, the guy had loaded her car on the truck. She gave him the $$, he would not give her a receipt, and also damaged her car in the process of unloading from the flatbed. Is this leagal??? This was in Bothell (everett/bothell hwy) washington.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

2014 Kia Forte, Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She caller Farmers Ins. this morning to report the issue, and has photos of the damage to her front bumper/wheel well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She's 26, and is strugglign - and I'm angry b/c I think this man purposefully took her money, and the apt. complex should have provided visitor passes for anyone showing up after the office closes at 5. Insane.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 9 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. The complex needs to follow the rules and procedures in place, prior to towing. If there is no signage posted and she was unable to obtain a pass because the box was empty, she could have a defense to go after and demand and sue the complex for the money she paid to have the car dropped. Moreover, she could sue the tow company, for damaging her car as well, as a result of this. Even though they were called to tow her, they can not be negligent and damage the vehicle in the process and if they did, they could be liable for their actions.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!