How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife served me divorce papers on August 29, 2017. We live

Customer Question

My wife served me divorce papers on August 29, 2017. We live in Miami Florida. I currently can not afford a lawyer and am down to the last 5 days to file my written response. What forms do I file? Do I have to have a lawyer file? Is there an extension because of the hurricane?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have kids. She adopted them in 2015.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I am very sorry to hear this especially during the recent events.

The court does provide papers to file a response -

please see here

One has 20 days to file the answer.

It is best to hire an attorney to review the documents and ensure they accomplish what is desired; or at minimum to review them for accuracy.

An attorney is not required to file- a person without an attorney is called "self represented". That link above explains the term and what needs to be done.

If one wishes to counter (request relief for example not requested in the petition) then a counter petition is required and that requires more complex paperwork than the proforma documents since it needs to be customized to coincide with one's requests.

There is not yet a definitive extension of time though please see page 5 here -

where the court will decide "ad hoc" if an extension should be permitted (otherwise the auto extension is only valid for the dates specified above and required the papers to be due on those dates).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
Terms of service can be viewed here: