Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I"m looking to speak with a Massachusetts Housing Lawyer:

Customer Question

JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: question: I"m a Landlord the city has condemned the building and my tenants refuse to leave the premises. What can I do legally to have them leave as I'm responsible?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: MASS
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i can think of at this time. thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Even though the city has condemned the building, you must give them written notice to leave or be evicted. Once you provided notice if they have not left, then you have to file suit for eviction in the court against them to have the court issue an order of eviction and then the local law enforcement agency will enforce the order and forcibly remove them if they do not leave pursuant to that court order.

If they are still under a written lease and are not month to month tenants, you would be liable for paying for their relocation, since the building is being condemned, until the end of their lease or would have to offer them some cash buyout of their lease.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.