Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a summons from the IRS to appear in San Diego on

October 2. I am...
I received a summons from the IRS to appear in San Diego on October 2. I am and will be 800 miles away. Can they make me drive 14 hours to appear? What do I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/13/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in California – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, the California and National Associations of Realtors, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California law.

An IRS summons is capable of modification by the IRS or by a U.S. District Court on a complaint to quash or modify the summons. Federal tax law requires that the summons must be "reasonable," and a 14-hour drive probably is not -- unless the IRS pays your reasonable travel expenses in advance (which is also provided for under federal law).

You may need to hire legal representation to help you with this matter. A lot depends on whether or not you are a third-party witness, or the taxpayer who is the target of the investigation. Also, if the summons is really only a records request, then you may be able to satisfy the summons by sending copies of the requested records, rather than making a personal appearance.

f you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
If I do not show up for an IRS civil summons as the tax payer will an arrest warrent be issued,
Blake
Phone call session started

Hello again,

I see that you have accepted a phone call from a different contributor. Please let me know if you need further assistance

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer