I would like to claim my parents as dependents. However, I…

Customer Question
Hello, I would like...

Hello, I would like to claim my parents as dependents. However, I am unsure of the legal measures and laws regarding this. I have read some about it but I want to make sure it can be done safely without any problems.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it I suppose

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/13/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
I presume you mean for tax purposes.
If you are caring for your mother or father, you may be able to claim your parent as a dependent on your income taxes. This would allow you to get an exemption ($4,050 for tax year 2016) for him or her. There are five tests to determine whether you can claim a parent as a dependent:
1. The person you are claiming as a dependent must be related to you. This shouldn't be a problem if you are claiming a parent (in-laws and stepparents are also allowed). Keep in mind, however, that foster parents do not count as a relative. To claim a foster parent, he or she must live with you for a year as a member of your household.
2. Your parent must be a citizen or resident of the United States or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
3. Your parent must not file a joint return. If your parent is married, he or she must file separately. There is an exception if your parent is filing jointly, but has no tax liability. If your parent files a joint tax return solely to get a refund, you can claim him or her as a dependent.
4. Your parent must not have a gross income of $4,050 (in 2016) a year or more. Gross income does not include Social Security payments or other tax-exempt income. (For those with incomes above $25,000, some portion of Social Security income may be includable in gross income; for details, click here.)
5. You must provide more than half of the support for your parent during the year. Support includes amounts spent to provide food, lodging, clothing, education, medical and dental care, recreation, transportation, and similar necessities. Even if you do not pay more than half your parent's total support for the year, you may still be able to claim your parent as a dependent if you pay more than 10 percent of your parent's support for the year, and, with others, collectively contribute to more than half of your parent's support. To receive the exemption, all those supporting your parent must agree on and sign the applicable Multiple Support Declaration (Form 2021).Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you online with me?
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Loren, Attorney