Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If I was scammed out of phones and the other person used a

possible stolen card, would I...
If I was scammed out of phones and the other person used a possible stolen card, would I get in trouble?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California, but the other person is suppose to be in England
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are four iPhones that were ordered on my Verizon account. I gave permission. Then two Samsung phones were ordered not thru my account via another account but they were shipped to my house with another persons name on the address.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Loren, Attorney
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
what's the answer?
You would only be in trouble if you participated knowing the card was stolen or knowing there was a crime being committed. Otherwise, you would lack the requisite intent to be guilty of a crime.
It is possible that you might be liable civilly, if you should have known the card was stolen. Civil liability requires a lower standard of proof.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
I should file a report?
if you have suspicions that stolen property was delivered tomyou then you should alert law enforcement.
Even if I don't have some items in my possession?
filing a report, if you suspect you were unwittingly made part of a scam, could help show that you did so unknowingly and help your defense if you were ever to fall under suspicion.
Loren, Attorney
Ok thanks. I appreciate the help
You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Attorney