How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter will appear in court on 5 charges of false

Customer Question

My granddaughter will appear in court on 5 charges of false pretenses. Previously, she has used 4 charge cards of mine, took money from my account to make car payments, stole 6 checks, tried to open charge cards in my name and the companies have, after a long stretch, made me whole again. I fear that this young woman will try to implicate me in some way. She has stolen from her mother and her father. I want to press charges before she appears in court on Thursday. My other children are very concerned. The case is in NC -- I have just moved to Austin, Tx.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?
Customer: North Carolina is where the case is charged. I have not charged her offiicially but I am preparing to do it asap... before her court case on Thursday. She has been charged with felony and had refused legal rep.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I can't figure out how to do that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, other than this girl is a very skilled story teller and I wouldn't doubt that she would hurt anyone in her family.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should I do for myself? Can she hurt me in court? We fear that she could say that I was a cohort in her schemes. She has hurt me for almost a year. My superb credit rating is gone, My automated bills didn't get paid on time. I have been challenged on my credit and I had to replace or shut down two bank accounts and 4 credit cards -- two of which I don't even use. She stole these out of my mail box, desk and, from my pocket book while I was in surgery... She'll do anything and will lie.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You can file charges against her and should do so. Can she hurt you in court? Not likely without some proof that you participated with her in her schemes. She can SAY whatever she wants, but legally she would have to actually prove your involvement in the cases. Your evidence would say otherwise, since you have proof of closing accounts and credit cards, which would show you were not involved.

I would file charges and pursue them and this way you are protected all the way around.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.