Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Nicor gas co (in IL) charges several of our condo buildings

Customer Question

Nicor gas co (in IL) charges several of our condo buildings a residential rate, and some a commercial. They are all residential - there are 12 buildings with 10 units in each
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 1 month ago.
No basis to charge different and higher rates. If company won't adjust consider taking action. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. Often a lawyer letter or call suffices. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"