I am a US male citizen. I need to divorce my Filipina wife…

Customer Question
I am a US...

I am a US male citizen. I need to divorce my Filipina wife of 14 months. we married here in OK. I am a 60% disabled veteran of 65, on SS pension. I'm an ex felon. she's 29, has a work permit, green card, and advanced parole. Am i better off to divorce her after she returns to the PR, or should I do it here? She'll probably be going back when college breaks for xmas. She has threatened me, i want her gone thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

OK

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have been divorced once before, here in OK no i have not spoken to anyone about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm an exfelon, dunno if that matters?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/13/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

You need to do this here in the US because the courts in the Philippines do not grant divorce decrees.

I hope this information is helpful.

I knew that much, thanks. I need to prevent her from getting any part of my govt checks. She married me fraudulently and has only had a green card for about 10 months. I will pull my affadavit of support for her and she has to have it for when her 2 year provisional residency here expires and has to be extended to be 10 years. No way that I'm allowing that to go forward! Does she have a leg to stand on if I file based on fraud? My understanding is that she does not. She's probably going to Phils for a visit a xmas. Would I be wise to file at that point and just move out of our leased apartment, or is one of those things a big no-no?

If you move out without notice she will probably sue for temporary spousal support, and I dont know what your lease says, but it can cause problems if you break a lease.

Fraud is a basis for divorce in Oklahoma, see

http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/oklahoma/oklahoma-divorce-laws-710.shtml

How did she defraud you?

the fraud was pretending to love me, when what she really wanted was a green card

You are correct, that is fraud.