How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9415
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US male citizen. I need to divorce my Filipina wife

Customer Question

i am a US male citizen. I need to divorce my Filipina wife of 14 months. we married here in OK. I am a 60% disabled veteran of 65, on SS pension. I'm an ex felon. she's 29, has a work permit, green card, and advanced parole. Am i better off to divorce her after she returns to the PR, or should I do it here? She'll probably be going back when college breaks for xmas. She has threatened me, i want her gone thanks.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: OK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i have been divorced once before, here in OK no i have not spoken to anyone about it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm an exfelon, dunno if that matters?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question.

You need to do this here in the US because the courts in the Philippines do not grant divorce decrees.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I knew that much, thanks. I need to prevent her from getting any part of my govt checks. She married me fraudulently and has only had a green card for about 10 months. I will pull my affadavit of support for her and she has to have it for when her 2 year provisional residency here expires and has to be extended to be 10 years. No way that I'm allowing that to go forward! Does she have a leg to stand on if I file based on fraud? My understanding is that she does not. She's probably going to Phils for a visit a xmas. Would I be wise to file at that point and just move out of our leased apartment, or is one of those things a big no-no?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 month ago.

If you move out without notice she will probably sue for temporary spousal support, and I dont know what your lease says, but it can cause problems if you break a lease.

Fraud is a basis for divorce in Oklahoma, see

How did she defraud you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fraud was pretending to love me, when what she really wanted was a green card
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 month ago.

You are correct, that is fraud.