Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was a witness in a car accident and i am from another

country. My flight back home...
I was a witness in a car accident and i am from another country. My flight back home is Thursday. the police want me to come in for a statement, should i go without a lawyer?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Its not about the car, the driver of the car( not me) hit a person on a moped In Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, they took our statment the night of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the person on the moped did not make it
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Were you simply a witness, or were you involved in some way? Is there any way someone could claim this was your fault? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

I was a passanger in the car that hit someone. I was under the influence but that is all. The driver has told the police i have no involvment but the police would still like to talk to me. I want to know if i should go talk to them without legal representation.
My flight returning home to germany is on thursday. The police have threatened that i will not be allowed to leave. Is this a threat of is this true, can they do that? They said i am just a witness.

Thank you.

As a passenger you would not typically have any liability and so there would typically be no risk in talking to the police without an attorney. You are not required to speak with them, but speaking with them will aid in their investigation and hopefully provide closure to the family of the victim of this tragic event.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

My flight returning home to germany is on thursday. The police have threatened that i will not be allowed to leave. Is this a threat of is this true, can they do that? They said i am just a witness. Could they put me on a no flight list
Its been 30 minutes
Barrister, Attorney

Hello, different expert here.. I see you requested another expert to help so I will try and assist..

.

Have you actually been subpoenaed in a civil or criminal case to go to court?

No, they said im just a witness. But they are contacting people telling me i must call them and come in and talk to them or i will not be allowed to get on my flight. can they do that? should i go in and talk to them without a lawyer?

You have zero obligation to talk to the police if you choose not to do so. And unless they have issued a subpoena or a warrant for your arrest for some type of crime, they can't prohibit you from leaving the US. So they are simply bluffing you and trying to scare you into coming in and trying to incriminate the person who was driving.

.

So no, they can't keep you from leaving the US since you are not charged with any type of crime and are not under any order to appear.

.

They can want what they want...but you don't have to comply or help them.

.

.

thanks

Thank you thank you.
How should i behave if keep calling my friends trying to get ahold of me. They keep calling and threatening, should i awnser am tell tehm that i decline questioning?

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.

.

I wouldn't bother responding at all.. They have no legal grounds to prevent you from leaving or in charging you with a crime so they are just desperate to keep you from leaving because then they will have one less way to try to prove the driver committed a crime.

.

I would just direct friends to say they haven't seen you lately and you aren't answering your phone...

.

.

thanks

it doesnt matter that im a German citizen?

No, without a warrant or a subpoena, you can't be prevented from leaving. When you are in the US, you have most of the same rights as any US citizen. And one of those rights is not to be detained by police unless you are charged with a crime..

Barrister, Attorney
Thank you!
Barrister, Attorney