How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28356
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a courtdate for my 4 dui what can i do to avoid

This answer was rated:

i have a courtdate for my 4 dui what can i do to avoid getting a felony?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: california los angeles
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i have but all they ask for is money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have 3 prior dui first oine in 2007

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. In a situation like this, you would need to get the charge reduced or amended, for that to happen. Of course, the burden is on the state to prove the charge against you beyond a reasonable doubt, at trial, so you can fight this. If you do not want to, you can try and work out a plea deal or if you have defenses, can use this to see if they would amend this charge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't really have a defense though right

Your attorney is going to need to work the case and see if the stop was valid and legal and if procedures were followed. The goal is to show the State that they have a weak case or get evidence suppressed, which could hurt their case. If you have a defense, it will be used and raised but the truth of the matter is that if it is a strong and solid case, they will not amend it or drop it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about if it had been 10 years since first dui how would that work

Great to hear back from you. I am happy to answer any additional questions you may have related to this but just kindly ask that you rate my help at the top at this time, so the site will provide me with the proper credit, for my previous help.

LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you and please allow me a moment

This ten-year period is frequently called a "lookback" or "washout" period and encompasses the offense dates (as opposed to conviction dates).