How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28318
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please! I signed a settlement August 29th, I want to retract

Customer Question

Please! I signed a settlement August 29th, I want to retract it. I was completely rammed under the bus by three men. What can I do? Thank you
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The petition (Me) was filed in Cook County/Chicago. I live in NYC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I signed the contract under duress. My lawyer was not prepared. The OC is one of the biggest Marital law firm in the nation. Mine was not prepared. He had simply a yellow pad of paper for trial.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Have you spoken with your attorney about this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he doesn't reply.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. If you signed and settled under duress, you would have a basis to try and motion the court to vacate the settlement and to proceed to trial. If you were represented by legal counsel at the time, you are going to need to show they did not inform you and advise you of this and forced you into settling, instead of acting in your best interest and properly representing you. If that can be shown, you would have a basis to try and vacate this, which could be based upon an ineffective assistance of counsel claim.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!