Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Can a doctor give a deposition on one of his former patients

Customer Question

Can a doctor give a deposition on one of his former patients after he has retired?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Alabama
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It's about a workman's compensation, the patient suing his employer and his retained attorney asking for a deposition from the doctor who operated on the patient a year before the doctor's retirement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes. A deposition is necessary in most civil litigation cases and worker’s compensation is no different. If the doctor has knowledge that could lead to discoverable evidence, then he can be disposed just the same. Keep in mind that the doctor can cite the physician-patient privilege if there is information shared with the doctor that is protected. He is not generally going to be compelled to testify to information provided under that privilege. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.