TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am a defendant in a civil matter in a Michigan State

Customer Question

I am a defendant in a civil matter in a Michigan State District Court. The plaintiff has made a motion for a summary disposition and a hearing is set for September 25. I need to know what is the latest date I have to respond and the Michigan Court Rules of civil procedure that governs the time that I have to respond. I am looking at MCR 2.116 (G)(1)(ii) and MCR 2.119 (C)(2)(a) and I do not know which one applies to me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you are asking. A complaint against me has been filed. I have answered. A motion for summary disposition by the plaintiff has been filed. I put in a motion for an extension of time to respond to the motion for summary disposition which has been denied.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Hi again.Since the other party is seeking a summary disposition, then the time under 2.116 applies. 2.119 only applies to the extent that 2.116 does not already specify something. If 2.116 is specifies something, then that is used rather than 2.119.Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After I sent my question and kept on reading, it did seem to me that 2.116 does apply but it I am glad to have that confirmed. Thank you.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
You're quite welcome. :)
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.