Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I purchased a term insurance policy 11 years ago. I received

I purchased a long term...
I purchased a long term insurance policy 11 years ago. I received a letter stating that an administrative error between my current policy coverage and the coverage reflected in their system did not match. Therefore my premium will be adjusted up $300. I called asking the nature of the discrepancy. They just replied without explaining what discrepancy. If they had a computer glitch 11 years ago, can they now adjust my premium for that reason?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in NC and purchased this while in NC. Still am. The co in ***** *****cock.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not know where to submit a complaint. The internet has a lot about people committing insurance fraud but nothing about the insurance doing unethical practices.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that my husband and I answered all question truthfully prior to obtaining insurance and that the matter is not with a fault on our part.
9/12/2017
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

If there is an adjustment, insurer may not raise rates not provided in the policy. However, if there was a math mistake, it can. It appears that insurer has not sufficiently established a math mistake, and until and unless it does, it cannot raise rates, and if it insists you may threaten to report to the insurance department, attorney general office and even sue which prompt insurer to either not raise rate or give you a proper and detailed explanation.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
which division of the dept of insurance would this fit under?

consumer services division.

Thank you.

very welcome.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney