Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Is it legal for a neighbor to hover over your home with a

Customer Question

Is it legal for a neighbor to hover over your home with a drone, drive, backyard which we have a privacy fence?At roof level, and while our garage door open at the end of our drive looking in our garage?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Ky in a Subdivision where we paid HOA fees.... They said the rules in our Subdivision was written before drones were out and can not change the rules.... So what are we to do, when we have this one neighbor that does it to us to be nosey?
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes, we filed at our County Attorney's office, but no one seems to know much about drones in Ky. Is their a law like 1708.8 of Civil Code in California?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, we have had issues with this one neighbor that is on pain pills, and we have ignored but it gets frustrating when you have company of children and grandchildren over and this is hovering over your property.... Is there anyone in my State or City that can help us with this???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can anyone give us advise where to go to get this neighbor to quit flying drone in our Subdivision?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please tell me if any laws or ordinances in our city(Owensboro), County(daviess), State(Ky) are in effect?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We do not feel comfortable with this drone action and feel invasion of privacy in our own home? Can anyone help us??
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

The State of KY does not have any drone laws as of 2/17. Some KY aviation laws may apply since a drone is an “aircraft.” Let me check your city and county....

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

You may want to start reading this article at page 20 to get an idea of the most recent laws in KY about drones. The upshot appears to be that you can sue for an civil invasion of privacy claim under common law torts. One KY man appears to have gotten away [thus far] with shooting the drone down with a shot gun, but this is a risky option. You may also be able to pursue a nuisance action which is not mentioned in the article. Also, check to see if the drone is registered. If not, then it is illegal.

Did this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.