How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5170
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her friend have been living with me in my

This answer was rated:

My daughter and her friend have been living with me in my home for two years. They are recovering from drug abuse, and I want them out of my house! What legal status do I have?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Rhode Island
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. RI law says that if you don’t have a written agreement with an adult that is living in your home, then that person is going to be considered a “month to month tenant,” even if they aren’t paying rent. This means that if you are going to evict them and to be compliant with RI law, “a landlord must send a 30 day notice to terminate the month to month tenancy. “ If that time expires, then you’ll have to sue them to get them out of the home through your local district court.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is my home.

I understand. This means that you are the landlord under RI law and you have to provide them a thirty day written notice to evict them. Now, practically speaking, you could kick them out and it would be up to them to sue you for violating RI's landlord-tenant law. If they are recovering from drugs, they may not pursue this route; however, those options are on the table for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I write this myself?

Absolutely. Even if you go to a place like legalzoom or, you can get sample eviction notices to help you out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I do that they must leave after 30 days?

Correct. If they don't leave, you'll have to sue them to get out. However, you would win your lawsuit if you can show you gave the proper written notice. After that, the state police or sheriff can kick them out for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you