Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I'm a business owner who is a professional member of an

Customer Question

I'm a business owner who is a professional member of an online organization for my profession that also has a forum. In general, most of the members who post to the forum are fellow business owners; however, sometimes the owner of a company that hires us for services will come onto the forum and post (usually because someone has posted that they did not pay or were 90 days or longer in paying, etc.). I've never experienced any difficulty of this nature, but a few days ago the owner of a company that hires us posted a false and libelous statement about me. The entire post was created for this personal attack (I was not to only one attacked in that post). There were many posts in response to it that supported my professionalism and a few that did not. Many professional members reported that post to the owners of the website though the standard reporting methods and strongly requested that it be removed (including myself). At the end of that day (08SEP17), I composed an email and sent it to the owners stating that the post by the owner of a company that hires us was false and libelous and asking for it and all responses to be removed; however, as of this AM (12SEP17) it remains available for viewing, reference and archived online for not only my peers but also my clients to view. I'd like to ask for assistance please.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oklahoma
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: At the end of that day (08SEP17), I composed an email and sent it to the owners stating that the post by the owner of a company that hires us was false and libelous and asking for it and all responses to be removed; however, as of this AM (12SEP17) it remains available for viewing, reference and archived online for not only my peers but also my clients to view.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

The online forum probably has a policy that you need to obtain and follow precisely to have the post removed; if that is an option provided for by the website/forum owner. However, most website/forum owners have a disclaimer that prevents them from being liable for false posts made by third parties since the website/forum owner is not in a position to readily ascertain who is being truthful and who is not. Your best bet here is to pay a local libel and slander attorney about $200.00 to send out what is known as a "cease and desist" letter asking for the post to be removed under the threat of a defamation action.

Here is a sample cease and desist letter you can modify and use if you cannot afford an attorney; but one sent out on attorney letterhead will have much more effect.

Does this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.