Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

My husband was covered through my health insurance policy.

My husband was covered through my health insurance policy. He died while in the second hospital he was transferred to for the emergency.
My insurance sent me a check in my name to cover the medical emergency transport.
I spent the money on his funeral expenses instead of paying the medical transport company. Since my husband died, am I legally liable for his medical transport costs? I did sign some type of documents for his transfer while in the ER of the first hospital.
This is Alabama.
I am sorry for your loss.
Potentially. A few things are going to happen first. The transport company will send a bill in his name. It will be the responsibility of the estate to pay, if there is one. If there us no estate and the bill comes in then I would contact who issues the bill and advise them that there was no estate since there was no need to raise one. They will understand that by saying that he passed away without any assets and the bill will go unpaid. If there us an estate the estate will have to pay it.
I would not disclose to anyone that you received payment. At some point they could call and threaten to sue you for the money but I do not think it would come to that. Potentially possible though.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The company already knows I received the check from the insurance company. So am I legally liable to hand them over the amount of my check? They already found out somehow exactly how much the check was for. Or, since my husband died, is it different?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I liable for this bill since my insurance company did send me a check for it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no estate. No assets. I'm the sole wage earner.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still with me?
Then I would wait to see if you get a bill from the company. If so then let them know that there is not estate and he had no funds to pay the bill.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, are you still there?
I am here
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But they know that the insurance company wrote me a check since I am the policy holder.
Yet I find out that I'm not liable for my deceased spouse medical costs? I just needed to pay his funeral.
You are supposed to hand over the check but I understand you used it for something else. They will call and threaten to sue you. You do not have to take your calls. The bill should be in his name so legally they should not be able to sue you. You may need to stand your ground
You are not liable for his medical costs. The issue here is that you received payment. I don't imagine that they would sue you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They have no legal grounds to sue me based on my insurance receipt?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about ruining my credit?
As I said the bill should be in his name not yours so it should not effect your credit unless they ultimately sue you since the payment was sent to you as the policy holder. An unlikely scenario.
They have grounds to sue but I doubt they will and eventually will write it off.
Please rate my advice.
While I do not do this for the ratings my compensation is tied to the ratings system.
Thank you.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are the grounds for suit though? Just non payment? or my not using the insurance payment for it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I'll try back with you tomorrow to finish. Thank you.
Not using the insurance payment received. Can't be for non payment since not your debt.

would you still like to talk about this?