Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My question is about my elderly mother and elder

Customer Question
exploitation from a man in...
My question is about my elderly mother and elder exploitation from a man in prison. How do we protect her when she has pushed away most of us left in the family and is making bad decisions? Not paying bills, but sending money to this prisoner who she knows and thinks they are in love.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She lives in Alaska.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I just sent my sister a link for alaska gov. on elder abuse and forms. Mother is very stubborn. Diabetes, and her new roommate is telling my sis she needs to do something as our mother is losing cognitive abilities, but is strongly in love with this younger prisoner. My mother disowned me around 5-6 years ago when I called her up about her taking in this Rottweiler/pittbill mix that was this mans pet when he went to prison. This dog attacked my sister when our mother asked her to come down to help her with something, and the dog attacked my sister. I am persona non grata since I questioned her about it, so my hands are tied. We haven't reported since our mother is secretive with us, but tells everyone else, so we are only going on what others are telling us. Proof would be financial records, and the fact that she isn't paying her bills, but sending money to this conman.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what can we do to help our mother and protect her, when she doesn't trust us, her remaining children,...but is totally in love with this con. I know, file forms, but we don't have direct evidence as she hides everything from us. Only what every other person close to her confides to my sister because they are all worried. Mom is in her early 80s.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
9/12/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do you think that mother's cognitive abilities have declined so that her doctors might consider her mentally impaired or even incompetent?

.

Are you or sister local and around her?

.

What bills is she not paying, mortgage?

.

.

thanks

My sister lives a block away. My mothers new temporary roommate, also elderly is concerned about those cognitive abilities and has alerted my sister that our mother needs help. Problem is, my mother thinks she is just fine...and in love with this younger con artist in prison who be be let loose in 2 months to come and live with her. She is not paying her bills, property taxes, just sends off money to the con. She doesn't trust me or my sister, only believes what this guy tells her. We are relying on what is being told to us by neighbors of 45 years as our mother is very secretive with her only remaining children. It's really sad...
If you can't answer without adding further costs, I'm out. Again, since I haven't received any advice, I will not expect my cc to be charged. Saving msg.

Sorry for the delay... I had to log off for the evening to get some rest..

.

Those phone call offers are not generated by me, but rather by the JustAnswer website. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though..

.

Your recourse here would be for one of you to file a petition for a legal guardianship or at least a conservatorship over her finances with the local probate court. That would give you the power to talk to her doctors and see what their opinion of her mental health is and whether she needs someone in control of here care or at least her finances.

.

If her doctors think she needs someone watching over her, the judge can appoint you or sister as legal guardian or conservator (over money) and then you would be in control of the purse strings and could prevent her from being further conned by this criminal..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney