Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Is there anyway that i can remove my name as a cosigner of a

Customer Question

is there anyway that i can remove my name as a cosigner of a car loan that i did with my grand daughter, now that she has ran into marriageable problems ?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: she lives in az. & i live in wi. it is a 2011 honda.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: she wants me to co sign for an extension or a 3 month deferment of payments so she can catch up on other bills.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am 85 years old and am not happy with my grand daughters actions & her way of live which seams to have no common sense.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, no, there is no way to remove one's self as a cosigner. If there were, co-signing wouldn't mean anything to banks, for obvious reasons. The only option is to get your granddaughter to refinance the loan, but if she is behind in payments already it's unlikely that she'll be able to find a lender willing to do that. I truly wish there were better options, but I trust you will appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....