How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to beat an open.container charge in

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to beat an open.container charge in Mississippi

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm licensed in Mississippi. I'll be glad to assist.

In Mississippi, the driver and passengers of a vehicle are actually permitted to drink, but the driver may not be intoxicated beyond the legal blood-alcohol content level of .08%. However, many cities and counties have city ordinances that prohibit an open container in a vehicle.

With this charge, the main issue is whether or not the officer has probable cause to make the stop. If there is no probable cause, then the citation could be dismissed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My tag light was lit but hanging

Ok. Thanks.

If the officer can establish probable cause for the stop, then it is very difficult to defeat an open container offense. However, to good news is that this is a minor offense and shouldn't cause you much trouble.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Minor offense. MMisdemeanor

Yes, it's a misdemeanor, which is the most minor of any criminal offense.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not good in government
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

No problem and good luck with this. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I keep it out. Court

You can try to non-adjudicate the offense and keep it off of your record. The only other option would be to try and have the charge remanded.......but you'd probably need a lawyer for either of these.

Roger and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Non adjudicate?
Non-adjudication is basically a freebie for a first misdemeanor offense. You can file for non-adjudication and keep the offense off of your record.
If you want to look into that, you should consult a local lawyer.
This is so because there are no forms for non-adjudication proceedings.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting.Thanks again!