LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Experience:  General practitioner with diverse legal experience.
60109343

How much will it cost to hire a lawyer to handle my small

Customer Question

how much will it cost to hire a lawyer to handle my small claims court case?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: I live in New York and would like to find someone to do this for me. Thanks.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?
Customer: I live in New York City and want to file here. It is to collect $5,000 for a job that I wasn't paid for.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I am just beginning.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'd just like someone to represent me and do all of the paper work, etc.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

To be honest it would likely cost close to $5,000. This is why attorneys rarely get involved in pursuing small claims court cases on behalf of plaintiffs. The maximum potential recovery is too small to justify contingency fee representation, and hourly fees would eat up most if not all of the recovery for the plaintiff if they paid out of pocket.

The good thing is that the small claims court process is literally set up so you don't need an attorney. That's really the whole point of it. Procedure is vastly simplified and in exchange there is a cap on what you can recover. The state has published a very useful guide on how to navigate the small claims court process, which you can read here. I would read through the guide and definitely try to pursue this on your own as hiring an attorney simply won't be cost effective for you.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.