How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17098
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married for 22 yrs, was not allowed to work. went

Customer Question

hello, I was married for 22 yrs, was not allowed to work. went thought the divorce and now my ex is not following the divorce decree. He is a doctor still working and i am broke. He only pays me 884. dollars a month. In the decree is is suppose to deposit 442. on the 1st and 15th day of each month. he is not doing this. also, he is suppose to pay for all his debt from the date of separation, he is not doing that. I am broke and paying his credit card debt including his attorney fees which we were ordered to payout own attorney fees.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in venice ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I cant afford an attorney. the one i had said in order for me to have him pay his debt and attorney fees i have to go back to court. which he should have done at the time he was representing me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats the just off it. I don't understand why my attorney didn't fight for me, on my ex's debt before the divorce was finally. I was a mess and he keep telling me to trust him. boy did i mess up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If this provision of the custody decree was violated, that's called "contempt". The next step would be to file what's known as a "Motion for Order to Show Cause and for Contempt". That's essentially asking the court to tell the other party to explain why he/she violated a court order, and if there's no good reason, then it can hold the other party in contempt. Contempt could be a range of penalties, from monetary sanctions to loss of rights, even to jail time for noncompliance.

You should contact the court clerk and ask about the process to file a "Motion for Order to Show Cause and for Contempt", and what needs to be done next. Furthermore, if you get an attorney, you can ask for attorney's fees and costs as part of the sanctions.

That being said, you should contact an attorney in your area that deals with family law cases. Go to or to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Use to find legal aid offices, lawyer referral services, and other free and low-cost services in your county. You can also contact the Family Law Facilitator in your county to assist further in self help cases:

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!