INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Thank you. I received a summons to appear to a judgment

Customer Question

Thank you. I received a summons to appear to a judgment debtor hearing for a company I have never work for or been employed by. I am listed as COO of this company that I have never been a corporate officer with this company nor have I received payment or have ever been in employee of this company. My only connection to this company is that the owner and I at one point come together and start a company unrelated to the company in question. Yet the lawyer who summoned me is insisting he's coming after me. I believe it's because he cannot get the other person served so he's coming after the first person on the radar. How should I handle this? summoned me is insisting he's coming after me. I believe it's because he cannot get the other person served so he's coming after the first person on the radar. How should I handle this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in California This is in California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure what that means I'm not sure what that means
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is related to the company and a former employee who won a $16,000 judgment from the California labor board. The day of labor board meeting I was to meet this owner and was there at the meeting. Because the corporation did not have all his paperwork in order with the state the commissioner asked everyone to leave except the plaintive. My Involvement that day was there was a meeting to follow. The lawyer is making me his project is stating that I was introduced as the chief operations officer of this company which I do not recall. Since we were never allowed to even be in there. There is no official documentation listing me in any official capacity as having anything to do with this company other than the fact that I know the guy who owns it There is no official documentation listing me in any official capacity as having anything to do with this company other than the fact that I know the guy who owns it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 1 month ago.
Are you asking if you need to appear?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I received a summons as a judgment debtor and must appear at the court on October 17, 2017. I am being treated as if I have information about this company which I do not since I've never served with this company in an official capacity. My only connection is that it one time I was working with the owner and we were going to start an independent security company. I already had a company of my own. I was never connected with his company. They can't get this guy served so they are going after me. I don't know anything. I know nothing about assets bank accounts or anything. I've never been a part of this company that they are going after
You normally would call the lawyer and explain. If lawyer not reasonable would appear as noticed and say so. No basis for any threats. If you choose to can appear with counsel. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Should be a brief session. Good luck. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This lawyer was more than reasonable. The moment he picked up the phone he was screaming and yelling. Fact remains that I am not in anyway part of this company , I'm a nobody and yet I am being forced to appear for something I have no involvement in. They could've just as easily gone down to the local McDonald's and name the guy behind the counter because he lives in the same neighborhood as the company that is in question. When in court what recommendations would you give. All I can say is you have the wrong kind a know nothing. Is there anything else I should be aware of and is there any recourse for this. I am not even in this industry anymore and I have to take a day off from my main job to deal with something I shouldn't even be involved with.
You would still need to appear and respond "I don't know"

Is my reply acceptable?