How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42835
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are filing for divorce on our own. Today

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are filing for divorce on our own. Today I'm filling out JDF1111 (Sworn Financial Statement) and JDF 1115 (Separation Agreement) and have a few questions regarding assets and bank accounts etc.For background: We chose a date of August 8th when we filed for divorce as our "separation date" although we live in the same house. So, not even sure if it counts, but we put that on the form when we filed. Before that date we kept paid all expenses from the same pool of funds, but since that date we've been splitting utility bills and rent, but keeping other expenses (like food and gas) separate, albeit in the same accounts we've always used before - i.e., we haven't opened up new individual accounts yet.So here's my first question: JDF 1111 page 5, section C is where we document these bank accounts. If all active accounts were opened during our marriage, then we would mark them all "J" for Joint - even if I'm exclusively using the checking account to keep my money separate from his, and he's exclusively using the savings account? In other words, we would only mark a specific account
"P" or "C/R" if it was established outside of our marriage?

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

If these are still joint accounts list them as J. Might be time for you to consider opening your own account, you will need to do so at some point.Anything you open in your name are P or C/R after you filed here.

There is not a problem living together , many people because of circumstance do so these days.

I think you are fine here keeping your finances separate, consider your own account here at some point to further separate,

I appreciate the chance to help you , good luck with the divorce.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you