How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42862
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] recently we hosted a party that got out of

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi, recently we hosted a party that got out of hand. Cops came and we started kicking people out. After, we turned the lights off and kept quiet then the cops left. 2 days later they come back and tell us they're going to give us tickets this upcoming friday. They said they're not going to tell us what tickets they're going to give us and we have to come pick them up friday. I'm curious as to what will happen.JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: WisconsinJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: Not yet, the officer said he was gonna sleep on it and decide what he wants to charge us with on friday when we go to meet himJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The officer baited us into admitting we drank. We told him we all had about 5 beers or so and told them we never gave anybody else any alcohol. We never went outside to actually talk to the cops, we started kicking people out immediately when they showed up and we kept things quiet. Then when they showed up 2 days later, they questioned us. Not sure what to do here. What charges could we be facing? Is there anyway we can avoid these charges with an attorney?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

IT is possible that under WI law section 947.01, a person can be charged with disturbing the peace. The penalties are usually a fine, but could lead to jail time if it is considered serious.

If you are under 21, and you were caught drinking, then you could get a fine of about $200.

However, if the officer did not actually observe anything at the time, it is going to be very difficult for the officer to make the case to the district attorney that you guys did anything wrong. The reason is because your attorney would likely question the officer as to their recollection of a matter that happened days before they actually issued the ticket. You could even make that argument yourself without an attorney.

I would really wait I am not at all sure they can prove anything since nobody was drinking or seen drinking here.He may have just been playing mind games and if you get such a ticket I would consider contesting it.Not at all clear there was any witness and a video might not be enough.Lay low maybe to quietly goes away as the prosecutor may tell them they cannot prove this.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best.You did the best you could do here quietly ending it,that may end up saving you.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.