Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

My wife and I were contacted by a famous Tax Relief Company

Customer Question

My wife and I were contacted by a famous Tax Relief Company that was suppose to help us with taxes that we paid a lot of money for. I ended up with a tax lien against me and they performed very poorly against what they stated they would do for us. Recently I posted a review detailing the horrible experience. They followed up with us and agreed to refund half of our fees if we would remove the bad review. No problem, they want us to shut up and never bad mouth them about it again. Here is the problem.They want me to lie under penalty of perjury and send them a notarized statement that the events never took place. AM I missing something here or is this illegal? I'd love to here from you on this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thanks so much for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, you can only perjure yourself if you lie under oath. If you agree that the things you said happen didn't happen in exchange for a refund, then you won't be doing anything illegal at all. In fact, many people agree to do all kinds of things in exchange for a settlement. If you were in court and you were asked to lie, that'd be an entirely different story.

My recommendation for you would be to weigh the money they're offering against your conscience. If you feel like it's worth it to you to remove the negative comment, then I'd go ahead and take the deal. It may be a good deal considering all you have to do is just push them out of your mind forever. The downside is that you'll be putting a price on your conscience for this. For some things, it may be worth it. For this, it may be more worth it to just take the money and never deal with them again.