If you are in a video a store has taken of a fall you had...

Customer Question
If you are in...

If you are in a video a store has taken of a fall you had... do they have the right to not let you have a copy or observe it on their property

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/11/2017
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

They have the right not to share the video with you unless you have a subpoena requiring them to produce it. You can only get a subpoena once you file a lawsuit, though. What you can do is send the store a letter notifying them of their obligation to preserve the video. Then, if they destroy he video after receiving the letter you'll typically be able to instruct the jury at your eventual trial to assume that the store destroyed the tape because it contained evidence adverse to them.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.