How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalPro54 Your Own Question
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12933
Experience:  General practitioner with diverse legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalPro54 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are in a video a store has taken of a fall you had...

Customer Question

If you are in a video a store has taken of a fall you had... do they have the right to not let you have a copy or observe it on their property
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

They have the right not to share the video with you unless you have a subpoena requiring them to produce it. You can only get a subpoena once you file a lawsuit, though. What you can do is send the store a letter notifying them of their obligation to preserve the video. Then, if they destroy he video after receiving the letter you'll typically be able to instruct the jury at your eventual trial to assume that the store destroyed the tape because it contained evidence adverse to them.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.