Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My mother has payed for her funeral, as far as I know. I am

Customer Question

My mother has payed for her funeral, as far as I know. I am an only child and I don't want what she has planned for her funeral. What legal steps can I take to change her arrangements?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She is 91yrs. Old so I am inquiring ahead of time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i would like her to be creamated because she would be buried over my father for free because he is a veteran. She has told me that she never loved my father and he has been gone for 34yrs. And I don't want his grave site disturbed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Has your mother designated any agent to take control over the disposition of her remains?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe, my daughter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Call me
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:

"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem (it is usually just a matter of confirming with your bank or credit card that the charge is authorized) I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The only way for you to override her pre-arranged plans is to have her sign a POA for Disposition of Remains

If she signs an appointment of you as agent then you will have final authority.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Are you still online with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to talk on phone but your end cannot recognize my credit card. This is all I can do
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

That is ok. Can you see my answer?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Are you still online with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The credit card is accurate. If you cannot except it forget it. If she planned her own funeral she is not about to sign anything to override it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If she planned her own funeral she is not about to sign anything to override it.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

She would not be signing anything to override it. She would be signing to appoint you agent to implement her plans, but whatever you do to implement the plans as agent is up to you.