Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a small farm and have a Mexican worker with a card.

Customer Question
I have a small farm...
I have a small farm and have a Mexican worker with a green card. How can he bring an additional worker back with him for the work season?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/11/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Are they related?

When is he eligible for US citizenship?

I think you may be not understanding my question. My current worker told me he could bring back his cousin for 5 months if he could get a passport. So how do we get his cousin here?

I didn't misunderstand your question. I asked for more information so that I could try to determine whether there are other potential but maybe less obvious solutions (i.e., through a family process) to your question. I like to know all of the options, which I am sure you'd appreciate.

Anyway, please give me some time to prepare your answers.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: When someone says it is possible to come for 5 months with a passport, it leads me to believe that they are referring to a visitor visa. If the cousin is coming with a visitor visa, then s/he cannot work for you legally. If you want to bring someone to the US to work on your farm, then you need to pursue a nonimmigrant visa for an agricultural worker—H2A visa.

Here is information for this type of visa, including the process: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2a-temporary-agricultural-workers.

In brief, you would file a request for temporary labor certification through the department of labor. If that is approved and the position is certified, then you file an I-129 Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker. IF that is approved, the worker applies for the visa through the US consulate abroad. If that is approved, s/he can come to the US to work on your farm for the predetermined amount of time on the approved petition.

But for him/her to just come as a visitor, he is not eligible to work while in the US on that visitor status.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer