Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Victim of identity theft, maybe related to breach reported

Customer Question

Victim of identity theft, maybe related to breach reported by Equifax.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Georgia.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Filed report with police department and Federal Trade Commission. Signed affidavit filed with company. No information has been given to me. Going on since May.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Member of LifeLock.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. What exactly can I answer for you in regards ***** *****?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What legal recourse do I have against the company and/or Equifax? What would this fall under, civil law?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Have you actually had someone steal your identity due to the breach? Or, no/not yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waiting on phone call.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost. Also please make sure that your payment method (i.e. card) accepted the charge for the call - sometimes it does not and that means the call was not authorized. Go to WWW.JUSTANSWER.COM/HELP to get customer service to help you, if needed.

Meanwhile, we can always continue the discussion online. If you wish to do so, please reply to my original follow up, which was: Have you actually had someone steal your identity due to the breach? Or, no/not yet?