Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I bought a pickup truck 2 yrs ago, but I could not get it

Customer Question

I bought a pickup truck 2 yrs ago, but I could not get it fiancecd in my name so the dealership used my dad's name and then mine, could not afford credit life. The problem is my dad has passed away and I lived with him and took care of him until he passed and now that he is gone I can't afford the payment because I had his income to help. Us there anything I can do to May reduce the payment or not even be responsible for it?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Missouri and it is a 2006
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I am sorry to hear about your situation and I’m sorry about your dad passing away. If your father did not die with a will, and he was not married, then his property would pass to you under the laws of the state of Missouri. This means that you could take his death certificate and a copy of the title down to the DMV and have it transferred to your name. Once you do that, then you can try to get the car refinanced so the payments can be lowered to something that you could afford. If your dad died with a will, then you’ll have to follow the terms of the will and deliver the truck property to someone else. The other thing that you could possibly do is sell the vehicle to someone to pay off the remaining loan. Finally, one other thing you could do is tell the creditor that your father has passed and that you would be taking over payments, but you would like to get it modified such that you could continue making payments on the truck. The last option is to let the car go into repossession and have them take it back.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.