If I am flying and have my secured, unloaded, checked bag,

Customer Question
If I am flying...

If I am flying and have my secured, unloaded, checked bag, off duty weapon in the bag , am I requires to notify either TSA of the airlines of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Will be flying from Fla. back to Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No sure what you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/11/2017
Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Off-duty municipal or State police officers are not allowed to carry firearms onto a commercial airplane.In order to fly while armed, you as an off duty officer must have your employing agency must submit an armed travel request/notification through the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NLETS) computer network.The request must include your name, the destination of the flight, and the reason why you need to have your firearm available immediately upon landing (prior to being able to retrieve checked luggage). This might include picking up a prisoner at the destination airport, being involved in a surveillance operation while following a suspect on the airplane to the destination, or as part of a special security detail for a person who is traveling. All of these situations would be considered "on-duty," so off-duty officers are bound by the same constraints as any other member of the traveling public.Some Federal officers may be required to be armed, even while traveling off-duty, so they may be able to fly armed even while not on duty. The Federal agency, however, must have a general policy requiring its officers to be armed.
I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
That was not my question, Do I have to notify anyone if the weapon is secured, unloaded, and checked at the ticket counter.
Here is a clarification. Remember, Keep in mind that individual airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition you are allowed to have in your checked baggage. Before you book the flight you should contact the airline regarding its firearms and ammunition policies.Yes. You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process. This can be done verbally or in writing. The firearm must be unloaded, and it must be in a hard-sided container and the container must be locked. (A ‘locked container’ is one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases on aircraft.The TSA advises that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question.