Is it legal to photo or tape the clearing of land next door…

Customer Question
Is it legal to photo...
Is it legal to photo or tape the clearing of land next door if I am on my property? I was accused of invading the privacy of the bulldozer driver and of tresspassing. Again, I never left MY property. I live in Arkansas.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/11/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No you were within the law.Arkansas is a one party consent state, only one party here(you) has to consent to taping.Legally this person has no merit you have done nothing illegal.

The statute reads:

5-60-120. Interception and recording.

(a) It is unlawful for a person to intercept a wire, landline, oral, telephonic communication, or wireless communication, and to record or possess a recording of the communication unless the person is a party to the communication or one (1) of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception and recording.

(b) Any violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) (1) It is not unlawful for the act to be committed by a person acting under the color of law.

(2) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) of this section that an officer, employee, or agent of a public telephone utility or company that is licensed by a federal or state agency to provide wire or wireless telecommunication service to the public provides information, facilities, or technical assistance to a person acting under the color of law to intercept a wire, wireless, oral, or telephonic communication.

(3) It is not unlawful under this section for an operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of any public telephone utility or telecommunications provider whose facilities are used in the transmission of a wire communication to intercept, disclose, or use that communication in the normal course of his or her employment while engaged in any activity which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his or her service or to the protection of the rights or property of the telecommunications provider or public telephone utility of the communication.

(d) The provisions of this section do not apply to a:

(1) Telecommunication service offered by a telecommunications provider or public telephone utility; or

(2) Federal Communications Commission licensed amateur radio operator.

(e) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to prohibit or restrict a Federal Communications Commission licensed amateur radio operator or anyone operating a police scanner from intercepting a communication for pleasure.

(f) Consistent with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 2703, as it existed on January 1, 2003, the issuance of a court order for disclosure of a customer communication or record to a governmental entity requiring the information as part of an ongoing criminal investigation is not prohibited by the laws of this state.

(g) Consistent with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. §§ 3122 - 3127, as they existed on January 1, 2003, the issuance of a court order authorizing or approving the installation and use of a pen register or a trap-and-trace device as part of an ongoing criminal investigation is not prohibited by the laws of this state.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars at top of page it i s much appreciated.

Does this also include still photoghaphy? (literally of two trees being knocked down) Again taken from my property.

Yes it would be covered , there is no merit here, its in public view and you consented , they haven't read the law for Arkansas.