Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi,
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Rosenstein & Associates
99622407

Define what an allowance is in a construction contract. In

Customer Question

define what an allowance is in a construction contract. In other words, what does "we are allowing $10,000.00 for framing."
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We do have allowances in a contract, as distinct from other items which are exactly called out
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Roy Hadavi replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive experience in construction contracts. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

An allowance in a construction contract in California is the maximum approved amount to be spent on a specific portion of the work (combining labor and materials). Usually the contract will provide for an overage percentage (for example, 5%) that the work may go over the total allowance amounts. However, the overage must be approved by the parties.

Not that you asked, but you should be aware that in California construction contracts for home improvement are highly regulated and you have extensive rights. If you would like more information about that, please ask.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.