How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My in laws r trying to have me served with papers what

Customer Question

My in laws r trying to have me served with papers what exactly does it mean once those papers are in my hand.they took my child and says that papers are for them to take her to doctor.I'm on bond already.need help
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes they are trying to serve me papers.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm on bond for attempt charge fui.but child wasn't in my care.was with the in laws for a week
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. The person of being served, is to place a party on notice, that they need to answer/respond to a cause of action / case, which has been filed in a court of law. The summons should contain a time in which a response needs to be filed and/or a date to appear, as well. The clock starts to run to respond, once you are served and the papers should also state what they are seeking/wanting. if they have your child, it could be to obtain temporary custody / guardianship of the child and allow them to make decisions and act on her behalf.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!