Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I filed a temporary protective order against my ex husband

Customer Question

Hello, I filed a temporary protective order against my ex husband last week. We went to court and the judge asked if he would consent to a PFA and he rejected to do so. She set a trial hearing for this coming week but now I would like to cancel the restraining order. How do I go about cancelling the order? Can I do it tomorrow or do I have to wait for our trial hearing?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. What you will need to do is fill out a petition to modify/rescind the restraining order. If you copy and paste the link below, print out the doc, fill it out, and file it in the court where the restraining order is currently, it’ll go to the judge and they will either approve or deny the petition.

http://mdcourts.gov/courtforms/joint/ccdcdv006.pdf

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to go before the judge with this or will the court give it to them? If I do this in Monday should it be signed before the hearing on Wednesday? Whether approved or denied does someone contact me?

You might have to go before a judge if a judge requests a hearing. Also, it's impossible to tell whether a judge would be able to do it before the hearing on Wednesday, but it is probable. If it is approved, you will be sent something in the mail or you can check it online.