socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have some concerns about my home. My husband is moving to

Customer Question

I have some concerns about my home. My husband is moving to Japan but he tells me since our home that we got together 5 years ago has no equity in it . He is telling me he wants to sell it in 12 years after it gains some value. Can he just abandon his family and home then walk back in 12 years from now and sell the house out from under us?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet. but he says he will be filing for his citizenship papers for Japan in the next 3 months
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes can the lawyer for now contact me here for now and not by phone. ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: can he abandon our home. move to another country and then just come back and sell the home years later.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 month ago.

If your name is ***** ***** deed to the property, then your husband cannot sell the property without your express consent, regardless of whether or not he is residing in the property or in Japan. If your name is ***** ***** the deed to the property, then your husband has the power to sell the property whenever he chooses, unless you petition the court for dissolution/divorce from your marriage, and ask the court to make orders to protect your interests in continuing to reside in the family home.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!