My friend got arrested for theft by deception, he used a…

Customer Question
My friend got arrested...

My friend got arrested for theft by deception, he used a check from the bank in his aunts name. The bank didn't check the check to see if it was okay, or ran his own credit. they then accepted his aunt as a cosigner who wasn't there too sign anything. never had legal issues so i'm not sure where to start.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/10/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post.

What is your question with regard to your friend's situation. How much was the check for?

My question is, What can we legally do to get him out of jail. The dealership shouldn't of even let him off the lot with the car. His aunt wasn't there to sign to become to cosigner They said the wouldn't press chargers if the car was returned.

The problem is that if the dealer involved the police, the case is not the dealership's to drop. It becomes the prosecutor's case and he or she can bring charges whether the dealer wishes it or not. However, if they get the car back they may be able to convince the prosecutor if not to drop charges then to at least go easy on him.

Once he's arraigned on the charges, he could be released on his own recognizance, assuming this was a first arrest. Otherwise bail will be set and the family can post bail. If bail is too high, once he has a lawyer -- he'd be eligible for a public defender if he can't afford to retain counsel -- his lawyer can ask for a lower cash or bond alternative so that his friends/family could get him out.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.