Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez,
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
93419235

Second opinion] 2007 my mom signed a gift dead to a man she

Customer Question

Second opinion] 2007 my mom signed a gift dead to a man she was living with he died in 2012 she died on 2016 does his family have a right to stake a claim my mom was still married to my dad who died a few months later
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the warranty deed and her death certificate and my dads and marriage license there was never a divorce they sent me a copy of the gift deed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do they have the right to stake claim
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.It depends on how the property was conveyed. If the deed contains a provision for a "right of survivorship" then the man's heirs would not have a claim to the property. However, without such language, then the property was held as tenants in common. This means that the man's heirs could make a claim for the man's interest in the property.I would recommend consulting a local real estate attorney to protect your rights and interests.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.