Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Is it legal for Judges to have court hearings without

Customer Question

Is it legal for Judges to have court hearings without notifying all parties in a case
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, we were just notified of his decision yesterday, Attorneys in the case fail to notify all parties as well
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you please share with me a little more about the situation? What was the hearing for? How was the other party notified and present and not you? Are you representing yourself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The hearing was requested for siblings visitation. Older brothers want to have visitations with their younger siblings. DHS/CPS would not allow the visits, so we asked for the courts help. They sent the document denying visitation, due to no one showing up in court. Family was not notified of any court hearing after submitting documents in the court house.

Thank you for the reply. If nobody showed up, it would appear that was the basis for the denial. It did not have to do with an ex parte hearing, whereby it was just the Judge and another party behind closed doors, without anyone knowing. based upon what you shared, there was a hearing and the parties did not receive the property notice and as a result, the Judge simply denied it. However, if proper notice was not sent, there would be a basis to file a motion and ask for the order to be vacated and/or a re-hearing on this, advising that you never were placed on notice to appear and you have a right to be heard and this should be decided on the merits.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!