I'm a registered nurse and I have worked at my hospital for…

Customer Question
I'm a registered nurse...

I'm a registered nurse and I have worked at my hospital for 15 years. Last year I started with lots of respiratory problems, ringing in the ear, bad taste in mouth etc.. off and on till today. I noticed a few months ago our call system wasn't working and noticed water coming out of the outlets underneath my desk, i reported it and maintaince said it's condensation from basement because the blowers were broke. So they claimed to fix it.. I could smell a strong mold smell and noticed our call system was not working again and I reported it, well they came in to check and there is football size green and black mold underneath cabinets, drawers, computers etc.. So severe.. They closed off the area and are having people come look at it..

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My question is with my illness and frequent doctor visits, what rights do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just got the forms today to make an incident report, exposure.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What steps should I take to deal with this issue. I sat on top of mold for a year and I have all these problems now. I have medical records to prove that these illnesses were happening this past year.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Administration, manager, maintence, supervisor from maintence and multiple employees could not believe the amount of thick large areas of mold that was sitting all under my desk drawers, computers etc.. It was unbelievable. I have been reported this for months, the smell, the broken call light and water coming out of outlets.. It never got investigated till today and it was unbelievable what we found.
They cleaned areas and placed plastic over this Nurses station, which is a large station and now we sit 5 feet away on the Nurses station next to it.
Texas
9/9/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 11 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about this.

Where to start is with the incident report. Also, since the presence of mold has been confirmed in your working area, you would need to get tested for exposure to the toxin. The hospital must pay for your expenses including any missed workday. This should be handled under worker's compensation.

If the hospital refuses to address the issue, you can file OSHA complaint against the hospital.

Best wishes,