How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5212
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tina, are you there? State, No, Real estate divorce related

Customer Question

Hi Tina, are you there?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Washington State
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Real estate divorce related matter
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I explain here?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am short selling my real property. A title report found an old lien placed by my former spouse's divorce attorney. How can I get it removed? It was community property at the time and there was no court approval to place it.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Was the lien placed before or after you obtained title to the property?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before, while we were in the divorce process.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

I see what you mean. There are some steps you can take to get it removed. The first thing you should do is to see if it is valid. it is possible that your ex paid his share to the attorney and the attorney just simply forgot to have the lien removed. After that, you may need to file for a modification of your settlement agreement if your husband agreed to assume this debt from the home. You may need to check the decree or settlement agreement to know for sure and ask the court to have the lien removed and placed onto some other property of your ex. The other thing that you could do, and I don't recommend it necessarily, is to pay the lien as well. Regardless, make sure that the county recorder/assessor has a copy of the lien release so you can sell your home.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Just what I needed.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.