Can I sue someone for filling a false TRO which was thrown…

Customer Question
Can I sue someone...

Can I sue someone for filling a false TRO which was thrown out of court. Person accused me of stalking and harassment

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. The TRO was filed and lost

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The plaintiff filed a TRO and a permanent injunction accusing me of busness place stalking, harassment. I apeared at the TRO and defeated the TRO due to lack of evidence. Two months afterwards, Plaintiff dismissed its Permanent injunction with prejudice

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes. If you believe you can prove that this person knew the charge was a false claim when they filed it, you could sue her for malicious prosecution. You could also try to get her prosecuted for filing a false report with a government agency, as that is a criminal offense.

Next question. Can I also file defamation (libel) claim against the Plaintiff, resulting from the malicious prosecution because false allegations were published to the rest of the world via court proceedings during the TRO and Permanent Injunction proceedings

No. You can't file a defamation suit for statements made in court proceedings.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.